On Thursday afternoon (12Sep13), Paul Revell, U&CF Coordinator for the Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF), was making a few final checks following demobilization of the Urban Forest Strike Team (UFST) crews at the Virginia Beach “command center”.
The exercise “met all expectations for VDOF and their community partners in the Hampton Roads Area”.
In addition, it helped…
- uncover GPS equipment limitations
- made UFST Team Leaders aware of the complexities of high-density, multi-city responses
- included a scenario where the Team Leader was called away from the deployment early and tested the team’s response and recovery
- provided an opportunity to communicate the capability of VDOF and UFST to the area
- tested the resource request process from the local community to the state (and across state boundaries into NC)
I’ll report news media links here early next week; a complete mock exercise debriefing paper will be complete next week with a full report on the event.